If you've ever tried a slice of the olive oil loaf at La Colombe, you know that this recipe means business. Olive oil lends a cake or bread a lighter and more coarse texture, while still giving it that melt-in-your-mouth quality. In other words: it's amazing. What really adds to this recipe is the quality of sea salt you use. (Please note: do NOT waste your time by using table salt. It just won't do.) This fragrant treat is salty and sweet and perfect for tea time! Enjoy...
Gluten-Free Olive Oil Lemon Loaf w. Sea Salt
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Makes 4 mini-loaves or one full-sized loaf
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh sea salt
- 1 cup 0% Fage yogurt (or substitute your favorite Greek yogurt)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sugar in the raw
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- the zest of 3 small lemons
- the juice of 1 small lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease and flour your loaf pan(s), tapping out any excess flour.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix yogurt, eggs, olive oil, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice until completely combined. Try to press out/mix in any yogurt lumps.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and mix. Be careful not to mix too much! This just needs to be combined together.
- Your batter is ready to pour into the loaf pan(s)!
- Bake for one hour, until golden yellow/brown on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you are using mini-loaf pans or molds you will want to check occasionally to make sure that the top isn't burning. If this happens--place aluminum foil over the tops of your loaf pans.